Belleville - A local elementary school teacher has been released from custody after being charged with 36 counts of sex crimes involving four minors.
Jaclyn Lindsay McLaren, who is also known as Jaclyn (Jackie) Jones, 36, of Stirling, is free on a $100,000 bond. She appeared in a bail hearing Friday in Belleville court.
Ontario Provincial Police confirmed the woman is employed as a teacher with the Belleville-based Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board.
A ban on publication has been ordered to protect the identities of the complainants, four boys who were believed to have been students at the time of the alleged incidents. None of the allegations have been proven in court, nor, said the defence lawyer for the accused, has full disclosure of all information in the Crown's case been made to the accused and her lawyer.
Ontario Provincial Police investigator Sgt. Peter Leon said the charges now involve four young people ages 12 to 15 and date from 2013 to 2016. Investigators say the incidents occurred in Tweed.
Sources say it is believed the alleged incidents occurred when McLaren/Jones was a French teacher in Tweed.
Sources also said she had been transferred out of that school in recent months, however.
McLaren/Jones is charged with eight counts of sexual exploitation, six counts of luring a person younger than 16 and six counts of making sexually explicit material available to a person under 16.
McLaren/Jones is charged with three counts of making child pornography and one count of making sexually explicit material available to children.
She’s also charged with with four counts each of sexual assault on a person younger than 16, sexual interference with a person younger than 16 and making an invitation to sexual touching involving a person younger than 16.
Police began investigating McLaren/Jones on Sunday Feb. 14. On Monday, Feb 15, they charged the teacher and she was held in custody until her release Friday in Belleville court.
It is reported McLaren/Jones has been removed from her teaching position, but it is unclear if she is on paid leave while the matters are before the court.
Represented by Belleville defence lawyer Pieter Kort, McLaren/Jones was released from custody in the care of her parents by Justice of the Peace Sam Cureatz.
Cureatz ordered her not to have any contact with the four minors involved as complainants in the case or with any boy younger than 18. She must avoid public places where minors may gather and has been ordered not to possess a cell phone. Computers in her parents’ home were to be removed and McLaren/Jones is also banned from possessing weapons.
In a release, OPP asked that anyone with information on the McLaren/Jones case can call 1-888-310-1122 and ask for the Central Hastings OPP crime unit. Anonymous tips may be made to Crime Stoppers at www.tipsubmit.ca or 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
McLaren is to return to court March 31.