Belleville General Hospital patient does not have...
|
Bookmark and Share
Oct 15, 2014  |  Vote 0    0

Belleville General Hospital patient does not have Ebola

Belleville News

A patient who arrived at Belleville General Hospital on Thanksgiving Monday was tested for Ebola as a precautionary measure, but results came back negative.

Quinte Health Care issued a press release on Monday, saying the patient had recently returned from West Africa and had some symptoms common with the Ebola virus. Officials believed at the time that it was unlikely that the patient would test positive for Ebola.

That hunch was confirmed early Wednesday morning, when results sent to the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg came back clear.

“We knew this was a low risk case and were expecting these results,” Dr. Dick Zoutman, Quinte Health Care's Chief of Staff, said in a press release. “Even so, this shows our surveillance and infection control practices are working. I am extremely pleased with the response of all the health professionals involved with this case.”

The patient was immediately identified as being at risk and was placed in appropriate isolation within about four minutes from the time he arrived at the hospital, Quinte Health Care said.

The patient is making a full recovery and will soon be discharged from the hospital, Quinte Health Care said on Wednesday. The press release stated that no further information will be provided about the patient, out of respect for his privacy.

Hospitals around the world are currently making plans around to handle and contain the Ebola virus. The highly contagious and deadly disease has caused a crisis in West Africa and fears of spreading in North America were intensified last week when a man in Dallas, Texas was identified of having the virus and eventually died of it.

Quinte Health Care issued a press release on Monday, saying the patient had recently returned from West Africa and had some symptoms common with the Ebola virus. Officials believed at the time that it was unlikely that the patient would test positive for Ebola.

That hunch was confirmed early Wednesday morning, when results sent to the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg came back clear.

“We knew this was a low risk case and were expecting these results,” Dr. Dick Zoutman, Quinte Health Care's Chief of Staff, said in a press release. “Even so, this shows our surveillance and infection control practices are working. I am extremely pleased with the response of all the health professionals involved with this case.”

The patient was immediately identified as being at risk and was placed in appropriate isolation within about four minutes from the time he arrived at the hospital, Quinte Health Care said.

The patient is making a full recovery and will soon be discharged from the hospital, Quinte Health Care said on Wednesday. The press release stated that no further information will be provided about the patient, out of respect for his privacy.

Hospitals around the world are currently making plans around to handle and contain the Ebola virus. The highly contagious and deadly disease has caused a crisis in West Africa and fears of spreading in North America were intensified last week when a man in Dallas, Texas was identified of having the virus and eventually died of it.

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More